Saturday, January 24, 2009

Akimbo - Elephantine

Akimbo was one of the first "non-hardcore" bands I really got into when I was 18 and realizing there really were good things besides Victory's, Trustkill's and Hydra Head's back catalog and sometimes a good guitar hook is a necessary thing.

When I saw them for the first time, I invited them to crash at my house and made an ass out of myself for 1) asking if they knew the dudes in Himsa and 2) making a girl's pants joke because their drummer was definitely sporting them.

Anecdotes aside, they were strangely a screamo band before Elephantine came out although their previous full length Harshing Your Mellow isn't really standard screamo fare in the vein of You & I, to my ears at least. So, imagine a screamo band evolving into stoner rock in the last annoying way possible and that gives a pretty rough approximation.

They prescribe to the kind of kitschy epic-themed lyrics, but in a tongue-in-cheek-we're-actually-better-than-this sort of way; in a lot of ways the lyrics seem kind of like a side note which make them more pallatable since they're goofy.

I'll stop the dissertation and get to the point:
Download

No comments: