Friday, January 9, 2009

The Paper Chase - God Bless Your Black Heart

The Paper Chase is probably the greatest indie band I almost never heard of. I have only ever met one other person who had even heard of them and they didn't own any of their records. So I consider myself pretty grateful I stumbled across them.

I imagine, at least theoretically, that they sound like the soundtrack to David Lynch making a horror film. Off-kilter, mathy, weird, sparse (yet full of sound and instrumentation) indie rock. The lyrical content all deals with some surreal horror but somehow trivializes and pokes fun at it at the same time. I feel like most good art, it's hard to describe and is best if experienced.

In summation: imagine a really dark, weird version of Minus the Bear. That's not quite right, but a close enough approximation.

They're supposed to heave a new record out this year about natural disasters. Since I don't suck at the Animal Collective teet and Cursed broke up, I'm sure it will be the best record of 2009.

Download

No comments: